Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Whole Wheat Yumminess!

   I've never really worked with whole wheat flour before so I thought I'd take a crack at it and make some nutritious whole wheat pancakes for breakfast. Since it is much heavier than white flour, I've heard that using whole wheat flour can end up with disastrous results...hence my hesitation before now.
   I found out that a good rule of thumb is to mix the whole wheat flour with an appropriate amount of white flour when baking. So that is what I did to make the following breakfast:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I added an ounce or 2 more wheat flour than the white)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large whole egg (yolk and egg white)

   Combine both flours in a large bowl along with the sugar, baking powder & soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk.
   In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and egg. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture stirring until moist.

   Spray skillet or griddle with PAM and heat over medium.
   I spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet. Then flip over when the pancakes start to bubble.
Serve with butter and syrup (optional) and you are done! It was so easy that I was able to do this and brew coffee at the same time...not always an easy task for me at 6 in the morning. Here's to healthier eating! 
   Oh, and I will say that YES, they did taste "HEALTHIER" if healthier has a taste, but they were still yummy and my picky eater son gobbled them up...along with my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment