Monday, November 7, 2011

Sausage Bread (VEGETARIAN version!!)

You have no idea how excited I am about this. Being a vegetarian, I am always looking for new recipes that I can cook, whether they are strictly veggies or something that I can swap the meat out for tofu or soy. But really that part is easy; it's the characteristic of TASTING GOOD that is the tricky part.

I am lucky enough to have my cooperative husband. Me being a devout veg-head and my husband being a hungry hunter, doesn't always make the decision of what's for dinner that easy. He is very good about trying my meat substituted meals with a smile. (Although the line between a smile and a stomach pained grimace is very fine.) And my poor son doesn't know any better (nor have a choice).

So I totally stole my friend Susie's sausage bread recipe and did the ole' switcheroo!
Note: For all you meat lovers out there, you can see her original yummy recipe with the ACTUAL sausage on her blog at www.thedomesticdarlin.com

I will use "sausage" in quotes to refer to my meat-free sausage throughout this post so as not to offend any meat lovers.  ;)

Vegetarian "Sausage" Bread

-1 package of Gimme Lean -Ground Sausage style
-1/2 cup green onions 
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese 
-1/2 cup Swiss cheese
-1/4 cup canned jalapenos (optional)
-1 tsp salt 
-2/3 cup milk
-2 1/2 cup HeartSmart Bisquick mix 
-1 tsp butter (melted)



1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray PAM on a pan and brown the sausage and onions together.

 The sausage will be in very large clumps at first, so as you are browning, chop the "sausage" up using your spatula, spoon, etc.

(As you can see, the "sausage" clumps are getting smaller and smaller)


And it's done!

2. Put the "sausage" in a bowl and mix in all the other ingredients.

3. I rolled mine into balls (only because that is what Susie did. When I steal, I steal.) but she says you can put into muffin tins or loaf pans.


4. I popped these in and waited 18 minutes and I was done! (I have a convectional oven so these took 18 minutes.. If you have a regular oven, I would do the full 20 minutes.)


These turned out great! They were great for my husband to take on the way out the door for work while I got to sit down and enjoy the fresh baked bread. Not to mention the sausage...oops, excuse me, the "sausage" has 7 grams of protein per serving and ZERO fat! Now, there's a guilt free breakfast! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment